- start a reference file of inspiring pieces for the room you want to decorate.
- use jazzy fabrics on pillows and ottomans that can be easily changed out according to season.
- avoid using floral fabrics on sofas—unless you know you’ll never tire of it. Try and keep to solids and small geometrics.
- consider the lighting effects in the room. Will there be an influence of natural light? Will you need ceiling lighting or will lamplight be enough?
- keep your vision clear—you can be easily seduced in other directions.
- beware of scale and proportion and how all the elements come into play.
- be afraid to use a strong color on the walls. Paint is the least expensive way to totally change a room’s appearance.
- use a rug that’s too small—the furniture will appear to hang off of it, making the room appear smaller.
- forget to break some rules and most importantly to have fun with it!